Slice of Life - March 24, 2012
I have invited some dear friends for one of those demonstration parties where you watch someone cook, and then order the cookware, so I must . . .
Put away Christmas decorations that have been lingering
Dust the furniture they may be fingering
Clean out the science projects in the refrigerator
Put the garbage in the garage until later
Wash the dishes in the sink
Mop the floor quick as a wink
Wipe down the appliances, make them shine
I want everything to look so fine.
Clean the mirrors for a sparkling reflection
Bathrooms have to pass inspection
Change the towels, refill the soap
Scrub it clean. There's time, I hope.
Sweep the wood floors, mop them, too.
It's the least a good hostess should do.
Wash the tablecloths, sheets and towels
I really don't want the house to smell foul.
Sweep the porch for a good first impression.
Some flowers on the table will be a nice expression
Go shopping for the food to prepare
Take some time to arrange the chairs
Change my clothes then greet the guests.
After the party, clean up the mess.
When all is done, say "That's a wrap!"
Lie down on the couch and take a nap.

17 comments:
I love this. I'm not a poetry person but this is the kind of stuff I enjoy. Fun and totally relatable.
I hope that the party was a success and that you don't have too much of a mess. Enjoy your rest and know that you did your best.
What an up-beat way to tell your your story.
So much more enjoyable to read than a 'To do' list. You allowed poetry to enter your day and this provided you with words to share. What more could you ask for?
The writer within you prevailed!
I hope you had as much fun writing this as I had reading it. So my wondering is did you get ready in time or were you far too busy writing for us to enjoy.
You made me smile! I can so relate to all that needs to be done to have people come over. I know I worry way to much. I'm working on getting better at that. Sounds like it was fun!
I am laughing...there are others out there that can live with dust, a few dishes, and a bit of garbage until the word COMPANY enters our thoughts? Amazing what we do for others instead of ourselves. I have been know to invite people over to get myself motivated:)
This was a very creative "to do" list.
Your intro cracked me up, "You've turned me into a writer!" I think you were already a writer but it was hidden. Now look at the fun writing you have composed. You took the mundane of getting things spruced up and turned it into a delightful poem. This was fun to read and follow you through your home.
I could totally see you going through each step to get ready for the party! Hope it was fun, and i love your poem! You writer you!
I can so identify with your very first line, "Put away Christmas decorations that have been lingering,"
I leave my snowmen collection on the mantle through February every year. Oops, I missed that deadline! Your poem inspires me to take care of that chore today.
A fun post. You took an everyday list and made it so much more interesting. Enjoy your event!
This certainly makes the dreaded to-do list sound more fun!
"Clean out the science projects in the refrigerator" This is just one lineI related to in your fun to-do list poem. It made me laugh because when I get ready for company I do things like this, too but later on I think would one of my guests really have been likely to go snooping through my refrigerator. Ha
Now you have inspired me to turn my cleaning projects into
writing projects.
This poem makes even the actual cleaning sound fun.
Amusing and entertaining to do-list. If you add a tune to it you could sing it.
Loved the science project in the fridge and the garbage in the garage...too, too funny, Jama!
Ruth, Well done, I love this. You most certainly are a writer. YOu found just the right pairs of rhyming words to complete your thoughts. Made me chuckle. It's a lot of work to get ready for these get-togethers. Sure it was worth it though. ~Theresa
Great poem. It is so amazing what we do when we hear the words "Company coming over". Hope it was a successful party and you got to enjoy someone else cooking for you! Thanks for sharing.
When I saw that your post for today was a PS, I just had to come back and read this post first. Now I am excited to hear how it all went!
Post a Comment