Sunday, March 18, 2012

It's J-ay-ma

Slice of Life -March 19, 2012

I was commenting on Jaana's list of soothing things and asking her how she pronounces her name when I remembered this silly story.

Have you ever forgotten your own name? My name is Jama. My parents tell me that it means 'daughter of James', so there is a long a in the first syllable, of course. Unfortunately, it is also the title of a magazine. They pronounce it like  the stuff you put on toast.

When I was born my mother gazed at the tiny firstborn in her arms and congratulated herself on choosing what she thought would be a simple, easy-to-pronounce name. She looked up as the doctor came in. "You only had to burp to have that baby," he commented. Then he looked at his medical chart and howled, "What in the world did you name her Jama for? (pronouncing it like jam)- Journal of the American Medical Association!"

All my life people have mispronounced my name.  In high school I was nicknamed PJ for pajamas. I considered changing it to Jamie or Jimmie to help folks out, but I never did.

You would think that such an unusual name would be memorable, though, wouldn't you? But, several years ago I was at a bookstore, writing a check for a pile of books I was purchasing (another of my addictions). When I came to the signature line, . . . I drew a complete blank. Embarrassedly, I made small talk to stall while I tried to remember what to write. "Oh my. Have you ever forgotten your own name?" I said to the young strawberry blonde as she twirled a strand of her long hair.

"As a matter of fact, I have," she sweetly replied.

Surprised, I glanced at her name tag, then signed my check. Her name was Jama.

11 comments:

Tara said...

So, now I know how to pronounce YOUR name! What a funny story, though...and a lucky coincidence,too! Imagine if her name had been something else....

Linda B said...

What a chuckle and surprise. I'm sorry, I thought it was with the short a too. My last name is Baie, so I know what you are saying. My kids learned to spell their last name before they could read, as in Baie-B-A-I-E. It's pronounced like 'bye' so there was an early time when my daughter insisted she would spell it 'by'-so much shorter to write, she said. I like your name & it is especially unique, but sorry, I've never forgotten mine so far. BTW-I like the popular posts on the right. It looks good!

BK said...

Great story. I can't tell you that each time I scroll down the list of Slicers I'm wondering about your name and I now I know :)
Bonnie

elsie said...

Thanks for the pronunciation guide. I like the long a much better than the short sound. Too funny that you forgot your name, was it written on your check? Love name stories!

Delighted said...

Loved your story! I don't have a problem remembering my name... just spelling it correctly!

First Grade Delight
imgoingfirst@gmail.com

writekimwrite said...

When I first started teaching I had many Vietnamese students. Theirs is a tonal language, tones that are hard for the untrained ear to hear. I tried(and often failed) to say their beautiful names right. One of lifetime best friends has an unusual name, too. Through these experiences I have learned to be sensitive to say something as personal as a name correctly. J-ay-ma thanks for the encouragement to continue this. :)

Cindy King said...

I actually know another Jama, pronounced the same as you, and even wondered at first if you were she. My daughter is Mariana (Mary-Ah-Na) but she has a very bold personality and I think actually enjoys correcting people. It makes her more memorable. :)

Deb Day said...

I liked this story--and how to pronounce your name. That's a problem I will never have. Although once or twice people have asked me how to spell our last name (really???).

Jaana said...

Jama,

great to be an inspiration to a slice! When I lived in Taiwan, I used to just use my Chinese name, and everyone would know how to say my real name. Names are fun, aren't they?

Donna Smith said...

Ahh, I was saying it in my head wrong...now I'll fix that! When I was in Wisconsin/Minnesota, I would tell people that my name was Donna and they'd pronounce it correctly...but only because they didn't know how I spelled it. As soon as they saw it written or spelled it, they renamed me Dah-na...instead of the New England pronunciation of Dawn-a...The seemed disappointed in my name then.

Chandra said...

That is an excellent story!

(Sorry, had nothing more original than that to say--but as one weird name to another, I feel your pain.)