Friday, March 23, 2012

Reflection on the Teaching of Writing

Slice of Life - March 23, 2012

This is one of my favorite times of the day, when it works. The children have claimed their writing folders and have collected pencil, eraser, markers and crayons to move to their favorite part of the room to work on their writing. Classical music is quietly playing in the background. The little group around the low table in the library are talking in almost whispers about their stories. Two or three children are waiting at the stapler to add pages to their current project. I move about the room stopping here and there to help stretch out a word here, to listen to a finished piece there. The atmosphere is peaceful and creative. I have been known to lose track of the time in such an atmosphere.

So much growth has taken place since the beginning of the year. This group of children began with three word sentences. They were writers from the start. Now they have written nonfiction posters about George Washington and Abraham Lincoln. In the process they have learned to write in complete sentences and to stay on topic. Some of them even remember to use punctuation and rules of capitalization. Some. Others still just spill words onto the page and leave it to the reader to figure out such intricacies.

That is where I find myself in a dilemma. I want to allow the writing workshop to be a place that supports creativity and imagination, totally positive and constructive, but the second grade teachers are going to expect at least some conventions to be in place. They will be looking for some understanding of capitalization and punctuation. They will expect high frequency words to be spelled mostly correctly. Their hopes for the future motivate me to have realistic assessment practices in place, and I am in a quandary. Everyone is in a different place on the writing continuum, but all are growing by leaps and bounds. I know how to move them forward, but how do I put a grade on what they have done, to satisfy parents, administrators, and all of "them" who expect such things? Rubrics? How does one use them to give a manageable grade? I realize that there is a wealth of wisdom in the slicing community. Please don't think I know nothing. I have read the books, but between reading and practice there is a risky leap of faith. I need courage to continue to fly across the chasm. Sometimes I feel like I am falling. Is there a safety net down there?

8 comments:

Christina said...

I love your first paragraph. You painted such a vivid picture of your children's writing time. Inspiring.

Mandy said...

I'd love to spend a day, or more, in your writer's workshop.

Thanks for sharing!
Mandy @ The Chockboard

Wanda Brown said...

I felt the calm in your classroom. I felt your angst to get the kids ready for second grade. I felt your dilemma in a system that forces grades to convey growth. I face the same thing.
The kids and I share conference time with their parents. They share their remarkable work. I follow up with where the child was upon entering first grade and where they are now. I tell the parents the grade cannot convey the same message they are hearing from their child and myself. Most are very appreciative of the explanations and the extra time.

jyk730 said...

This is a well written and meaningful piece about one of the dilemma's we face as teachers. How can we give space to our kids to really grow and explore as writers while we are constantly being told that we need to give them a grade and put their writing in a box.

Tara said...

I love writing workshop - even the grading in writing workshop, because it's so authentic. I create rubrics for everthing I have taught and wish to see in my kids' writing. The Teacher's College website has some awesome rubrics for you to check out:
http://tc.readingandwritingproject.com/resources/assessments.
Stacey and Ruth have had some wonderful resources on their website for this as well.

nancyellen.hatcher@gmail.com said...

I love your workshop picture....keep on...stick to your guns....it is developmental and differentiated...my own children were never in a workshop until college...how sad is that? I wish all our teachers could be in your room seeing it. If you want to look at them using a rubric..you can try our newly developed CCSS. xo nanc

Kelli Traber said...

I could see your classroom and feel the passion in your words. I agree that conventions are important, but how do you quantify all of the growth you are seeing? What kinds of conversations have you had with the second grade teachers about conventions? Give me a class of kids who love to write and express themselves any day--conventions will come.

elsie said...

I am with Kelli, conventions will come. The joy and passion for writing is a flame that can be extinguished so quickly if we are not careful. Talk to the kids about conventions are the good manners of writing. They are there to help the reader understand their wonderful ideas. Sorry I can't help with the taking a grade.