Wednesday, March 21, 2012

A Sweet Lunchtime Treat

Slice of Life - March 21, 2012

Students stream out of the stately old building surrounded by trees, talking, running, laughing, walking toward the little brick building in the middle of our campus circle. Between the hours of 10:15 to 1:10, this little cafeteria is the most popular place on campus, where all 450 of our hungry friends meet for a delectable treat

Middle schoolers stand aside at the door to allow kindergarteners to exit in a long chattering line. I glance up from my cornbread salad just in time for my own sort of treat. A tiny blonde preschooler, still sitting at the table, does not resist the urge to pop out of her seat to grab a tall seventh grader around the knees and squeeze as she enters the room. The once-shy seventh grader makes me proud to have been her first grade teacher. She leans over to listen to the pigtailed girl, smiles, then kneels to give the child a happy hug, wrapping her long arms around the petite little body.

Moments like this, where love reaches across the ages, are some of the treasures that make teaching at my little school so priceless.

12 comments:

Amy Rudd said...

So cute! Endearing-I love moments like these...what a blessing that you got to see this in action.

BK said...

So great to hear positive things about school food :)

elsie said...

Pays to be watching, what a sweet moment to capture with your words.

Lisa said...

I love that! I could picture them - what a treat for both of them too. Thank you for sharing that.

CSPeterson said...

What a wonderful moment - bet it made your day!

Juliann in WA said...

Love it when the "big" kids and the "little" kids can interact at school

Anne and Riss @thelitladies said...

Must be because it is nearly lunchtime - so sure you were going to write a 'food' slice - the neat twist was well done

Tara said...

That last line was lovely - older kids watching out for younger ones, that's a beautiful thing.

Linda said...

Middle school students never cease to amaze me. Most of what I hear at my school is about the negative things they do. How nice to read such about such a sweet moment. You made me smile!

Deb Gaby said...

What a precious moment you witnessed. I'm curious about cornbread salad. I'm not sure what that is.

Jama said...

Cornbread salad is cornbread, tomatoes, onions, peppers, and ranch dressing all mixed up together. Thre may be secret indigents I don't know about, but it is . . . Yum!

Jama said...

Ingredients, I mean.