Slice of Life - March 18, 2012
Okay. I'll admit it. It is getting harder and harder to think of a slice of my life to put on the plate for your consumption. At first the ideas were plentiful because I could tell the stories that I love. I shared my admiration for my parents. I told slices of my past. I have enjoyed trying my hand at some poetry, and sharing my thinking on a few of my soapboxes. Now, though! I go through the day thinking, What would I say about this? Would this be a good slice to write about? And, the problem is that I love the positive feedback of your comments so much that I find myself editing before I even write the first word. Oh, yeah! That is the problem with my addiction to positive feedback. It causes me to lose sight of my first priority, which was to write everyday. That is really the reason I joined the challenge - just to get into the good habit of writing everyday. I didn't join in for your praise or for the prizes. You know what that means, don't you? I think that means that I am going to have to give myself permission to post some trash. Yes, some trash. Forgive me, but it is like a flea market or a yard sale, sometimes you find your most priceless treasures in the trash.

20 comments:
P.S. I will still appreciate comments, though.
Oh, Your slice is what I have been feeling as well. Addicted to comments. Would they like this? or how about that? I wanted to see who had it together enough to have their slice written at the START of the day. I look forward to reading some trash tomorrow.
I love this line, "give myself permission to post some trash." Just like we should let our students write some trash sometimes, too. Not all days are fruitful, not all days come with inspiration, not all words can be combined to say what we want to say. Great trash--there is treasure in it!
Yes, I think I am addicted to comments too!! I get so excited every time I receive an e-mail that says I got a comment. I think as a writer, we need to be willing to take risks and post things that might not get a lot of comments. Also, a lot of times, things that we might think are "trash", but to others might be gems! Thanks for being honest with us today in your slice.
You're not alone with your feelings about comments. You already gave yourself some solid advice. Not every slice has to be perfect.
Jama, you are so right on. I've covered the same things and yet haven't really let me just write - just because. Not for everyone to see or comment, but for me. Thanks for the reminder and I'm looking forward to reading some of your "trash".
I did not ever expect a comment on my writing - before this. I did not start in order to get comments - before this. I remind myself every time I turn the computer on that I do not write for comments - before this. But I TOTALLY CONNECT TO YOUR POST!
I see the comments from people as connecting with what you wrote...not necessarily rubber stamping it as a great piece. Sometimes I read people's posts and I have nothing to say, so I don't. If you get a comment from me, consider the message...you said something that spoke to me:)
Get ready for April 1st when life changes a bit... but Slices for Tuesdays can make life a bit less hectic and maybe put less pressure on your writing.
After a while, you just write for yourself :)
Bonnie
You have discovered something about yourself and your writing. Think about what you ask kids to write about. I tell them the everyday, ordinary is what they need to look for in their life. Stop thinking it has to be a big awesome event. What ever you put on the plate will be consumed with interest. Loved that phrase!
I love your postscript. Here you have said what you are thinking & connected to lots of others-a good thing. Sometimes writing is just that, connection, and sometimes it's just for us. Thanks for the good voice about comments. You've said it well!
"And, the problem is that I love the positive feedback of your comments so much that I find myself editing before I even write the first word."
I see this as a positive, though, Jama. That internal editing is the writer in you sorting through topics to write about - the comments help you develop this eye, I think. I've been slicing for a while now, sometimes I get lots of comments, and sometimes just a few - but I'm always happy with my writing, I'm much more deliberate and I know I've grown as a writer. Perhaps that's not how I felt when I first began, but that's how I feel now...and didn't I begin slicing with the hopes that it would "grow" me as a writer after all? So...keep slicing, my friend, I love reading what you have to say and how you say it.
Jama, I know what you mean about comments. I appreciate them, too. I try to post what's on my mind or close to my heart, and if that resonates with someone and they comment, great! If not, it's ok, too. If you write the truth, the beauty will shine through! I appreciate you sharing your writing and the comments you have shared with me! :)
@Wanda- I know what you mean. I read many more slices than I comment on. If I have nothing to say, I don't. I still appreciate the slices though.
Thank you for your post. It was written so well and gave us all permission to write and find the treasures in what our internal critic thinks is a flea market or garage sale.
My obsession with comments is of commenting, even more than getting comments (even though I love that, too). Secretly, sometimes, I wish ten comments was the equivalent of a post and would count toward a day of slicing! :) I suppose one could argue that my obsession for commenting is to provide others with what I hope for?!?! haha
Writing takes all forms, doesn't it?
I doubt that anything you could write would be trash, Jama. I have really enjoyed your slices even though I don't always think of a comment to post. I know what you mean about getting addicted to comments, and it does interfere with the writing sometimes. : )
I love your idea that we do find the treasures in the ordinary. It's by writing that we get better. Love you post.
I love your comment about finding treasure in the trash. I also agree with the perfection thing. I google almost every word I write to make sure I don't mess up too badly when posting. :)
Post a Comment